11 Tips for How to Get Started Programming Games
In our October 24th blog we discussed a few tips on how to get the most out of your game launch. Game launches can make or break the selling success of your game. However, for someone just getting started with game programming, your game launch may be the last of your worries at this point. The most common type of question for a beginner is where do I start? For the beginners out there, here are 11 tips for how to get started programming games.
- Start with small games and take things one-step at a time. You don’t get frustrated as easily and it will be easier to see your progress. Remember there is no time limit on when you need to have your game ready (if you are starting out with a time constraint, you are in for a rough time).
- Finish your first game.
- Always get feedback. Test your game with honest groups of people who have never played it before. These people can help you find potential problems or bugs that you may have overlooked or been unaware of during your games development phase. This will give you the opportunity to resolve all issues before you are ready to launch!
- Prototype frequently.
- Find teammates. They will motivate you and give you responsibility.
- Find a mentor.
- When you think you have a good idea, go for it.
- Have a close group of people that understand what you are doing and appreciate your work. They can provide you with additional instruction and help with improvements.
- Networking is important.
- Brainstorm with other developers before starting a game. This can save you time and prevent wrong coding. A good place to start is independent gamer forums. You can find support and get good advice from fellow game developers.
- When you get stuck at a dead end, sleep. Your brain keeps trying to solve the problem and when you awake you may find your solution.
Learn at your own pace and build your projects one piece at a time. The most important tip for a beginner is don’t get frustrated and continue to work on your game. If you love and believe in what you are working on, it will shine through in your finished game.
When you are ready to launch your game, BMT Micro can ensure that your game gets the exposure it deserves. BMT Micro offers easy set-up options and can help with your download links and customized shopping cart. With BMT Micro, you can take off running with your new game. It doesn’t matter if your game is available on PC or Mac, or even if it is played in a virtual environment, BMT Micro can process all your transactions. You will see all of your efforts and the time invested in the development of your game rewarded by the gain of your new players. BMT Micro’s multiple payment options allow you to provide your players with the convenience to use their preferred method of payment all while keeping them safe with our PCI compliance and extensive fraud protection. BMT Micro can even help with your Marketing efforts to reach a larger gamer audience. Never neglect the need for marketing and a good platform to make your final game a huge success. BMT Micro is here for you!